Hi there! I wanted to share a little behind the scenes on my recent project. I’m giving you allll the details that lead to the finished product above. That’s right: the good, the bad, and the absolutely drop dead you-can’t-miss-this gorgeous!
It started with a phone call…
“We’re looking for a company to create the ceiling murals for the new Caesar’s Grand Entrance”
Remmie and I were so excited and we had fingers crossed we’d (We Talk Chalk
) be awarded the project!!!
Inspired by the artwork in the existing lobby, the new domed ceiling and outer ring carry much of the same architectural details. The big difference is the inclusion of 4 new Roman gods and goddesses. I was thrilled to be able to design the actual figures since the architecture was a rendition of the existing lobby. So I was able to have a little fun with the gods and goddesses and all that glorious fabric.
But first, I had to create the color palette and double check them against Caesar’s existing artwork. It had to feel aged – like a real Italian fresco…
Once we had the initial sketch approved I had to double & triple check all the measurements of my sketch to the final construction measurements. Then we got started by creating pounce patterns of each section from the reference image. The outer and inner rings were each divided into 8 very large sections.
Pounce Pattern – a technique involving the use of a pouncing wheel (like a pizza wheel with spikes) to outline an image on a thin surface…like thin copy paper. Then transferring your image onto the canvas by ‘pouncing’ chalk powder through the perforated lines.
But before those pounce patterns could be used, Remco had to prep and prime 500 pounds of muslin canvas. And of course, right when he started, Vegas switched from sunny and warm to cold and dreary…which makes prepping canvas take double the time. Oye. When all the canvas was ready, the actual painting process took 12 days for the outer ring, 6 days for the 4 statue panels and 10 days for the figure panels (seen below) and varnishing. Figures came last…Mostly because I knew they would be fun to paint and they’re definitely in my wheel house. Save the best for last, right? :)
Once we had the Final sketch approved we got started by creating pounce patterns of each section. The outer and inner rings were each divided into 8 very large sections that were really tough to handle in the studio.
After all panels were finished, they were picked up and installed just like wallpaper. And thank the Lord, all the figures matched up and just needed a little touch up here and there. Including redrawing a few feet ‘over’ the dental moulding :). But that outer panel proved a little trickier so we had to get up there and alter the size of a few of our tromp l’oeil architectural squares. 2 days of touch ups and it was completely finished!!! PHEW.
What a relief.
Now it’s up for all to see and it’s almost unbelievable :)